~ ~ ~
We are pleased to inform you that we are now offering the BABY & ME – Tobacco Free Program™ to pregnant women in our community. The FREE evidenced-based, prenatal/postpartum program:
- Assists pregnant smokers in quitting and staying quit.
- Is available to any pregnant smoker or tobacco user, no age or income eligibility.
- Provides four, 15-minute prenatal cessation counseling sessions. If tobacco free at prenatal visits 3 and 4, women receive a $25.00 diaper voucher at each visit.
- Provides twelve, 5-minute postpartum counseling visits, 1 per month for up to 12 months. If tobacco free, women receive a $25.00 diaper voucher at each visit.
- Allows a support partner who smokes and lives with the pregnant woman to enroll into the program, if applicable. This provides women with double the diaper vouchers, if the support partner also quits smoking.
Research has proven that smoking remains the most common preventable cause of pregnancy complications and death among infants. Babies born to women who smoke during pregnancy are more likely to be premature and underweight. Women enrolled in the BABY & ME – Tobacco Free Program receive proven tools to assist them in successfully quitting smoking and staying quit following delivery. Program data/outcomes that have been published in the Maternal and Child Heath Journal have indicated decreased smoking rates among women, as well as improved birth outcomes among babies born to mothers enrolled in the program. According to the CDC guidelines and standard care for all patients, health care professionals should screen all pregnant women for tobacco use, advise them to quit, assess their willingness to quit, and assist in referring them into cessation services.